Activities Around Cape Agulhas
- Our photo Gallery has some stunning pictures of the surrounding area.
- Visit the southernmost tip of Africa where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet.
- The second oldest working light house in South Africa.
- Take a walk on the coast passing the historic Soldiers’ Pool to the light house.
- Ghost Corner hiking trail along the coast and up to the look-out on top of the hill behind the Lodge (± 1½ hours). Circular route starting at the Lodge.
- Bird watching, whale watching (July to early December).
- Safe swimming in Struisbaai at the longest uninterrupted white beach in Southern Africa.
- Kite surfing and other water sports.
- Canoes, surfboards and cycles available to rent in Struisbaai from Way Down Africa Adventures.
- Boat trips for pleasure or fishing; also deep sea fishing, book at the beautiful Struisbaai harbour.
- Tarred runway (1100 metres) at Andrew’s Field only 10km from Struisbaai. Aircraft welcome to fly in, Agulhas Country Lodge can arrange transport.
- Nature Reserves: Guided or self-drive visits to De Hoop (1 hour) or De Mond (25 minutes).
- Nuwejaarsriver Wetland Special Management Area – very exciting new reserve. Excellent bird watching with hides. (30 minutes away, close to Elim) www.nuwejaars.com
- Elim Wine Route - the southernmost wine route in Africa is open and well worth a visit. There are 6 wine estates, some with restaurants within 30 minutes drive. www.blackoystercatcher.co.za
- Farm visits available to wheat, merino and cattle farms, some offering country lunches. www.nachtwachtrestaurant.co.za
- The picturesque village of Arniston is only 35 minutes drive away and is well known for its big sea cave and 200 year old fishermen’s village, Kassiesbaai. The Arniston Hotel serves delicious lunches.
- In Bredasdorp visits the Kapula candle factory, Julians Ceramics gallery and the unique shipwreck museum.
- The Bredasdorp Golf Course is a well maintained 9-hole course and is the southernmost golf course in Africa.